DON’T LOSE POINTS . . .
As all good coaches know, the best offense is a good defense. That is what makes wellness programs so successful. With a combination of activities that focus on employee health promotion and disease prevention, wellness programs are so much more than an exercise program. These programs offer a range of health services including education and instruction on nutrition, smoking cessation, stress management, weight loss, lower back pain, and other health and lifestyle topics.
Employee benefits of worksite wellness programs include weight reduction, increased stamina, lower stress, and increased well-being. However, the benefits to employers are more significant as physical health equals fiscal health. These benefits include enhanced recruitment and retention of healthy employees, reduced healthcare costs, decreased rates of illness and injuries, reduced employee absenteeism, improved employee relations and morale, and increased productivity. Further, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services reports worksites that offer wellness programs have reduced healthcare costs, reduced short-term sick leave, and increased productivity.
OPPONENTS SAY . . .
- “We can’t afford it.”
- Actually, a more factual statement is “We can’t afford not to have a wellness program.” While your business may not be able to establish an elaborate fitness center, any investment in wellness costs far less than the loss of your most valuable assets - your employees.
- “Participation will be low.”
- Regardless of the size of the business, that simply is not the case. Numerous studies report employees want to participate and will take part in well implemented wellness programs.
- “It is none of our business.”
- With the adverse lifestyle choices costing companies billions of dollars each year in direct and indirect costs, it most certainly is your business. In addition to the financial aspects, it is the socially responsible thing to do.
- Locker Room
- Contains all downloadable forms and surveys from The Playbook.
- Coaches Corner
- Contains links to all wellness resources.
- Press Box
- Contains information based on proven success stories.
Physical health and economic health go hand in hand.
-David Hollister, Director Michigan Department of Labor and Economic Growth
A Primary Shift in Focus:
Pioneering businesses are already profiting from a primary shift in focus from the cost of health care to the total value of health.
Yesterday’s Assumption: Health is a cost driver. Initiatives to improve employee health are primarily a strategy for controlling a top-line expense.
Today’s Reality: Health is a performance driver. Investing in health not only controls expenses, but also protects, supports, and enhances human capital. It is fundamental to a healthier bottom line.
Last year, American companies spent billions of dollars on health-care related expenses and disabilities resulting from controllable problems such as alcoholism, drug addiction, smoking, obesity, high cholesterol, and hypertension. Further, the state of Michigan has higher than average rates of obesity, smoking, coronary heart disease, and diabetes that are increasing healthcare costs and premiums. In fact, the Michigan Chamber of Commerce reports, “In survey after survey, our members complained that the high cost of health insurance was the greatest threat to their profitability and they wanted help.” Like coaches who create a playbook for every likely game situation, business owners need a game plan for improving the physical, mental, and spiritual health of their employees.
As a result, the team members at Advantage Benefits Group present The Advantage Benefits Group Wellness Playbook and Website. Our Wellness Playbook provides you with a step-by-step guide, from gaining upper management support to properly evaluating outcomes, for implementing successful worksite wellness programs. Our Wellness Website provides access to all downloadable forms from The Playbook, links to numerous wellness resources, and provides insight from proven success stories. Combined, The Wellness Playbook and Website will prevent a desperate Hail Mary pass while coaching your business to a higher level of wellness.
If you do not have a copy of The Advantage Benefits Group Wellness Playbook, please contact us to learn how to receive your free copy.
Log-in on the left to access: